Captain Ken manga review at Let's Anime

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Captain Ken manga review at Let's Anime

Post by davemerrill »

I was one of the Kickstarter backers for the Captain Ken manga release from Digital Manga, and my copies arrived in March, and since March it's been super busy doing just about everything else but reviewing the manga, but I finally got that Captain Ken manga reviewed.

http://letsanime.blogspot.jp/2015/06/ri ... n-ken.html

tl;dr - I loved it. It's a great 1960 piece from the sweet spot of boy's adventure comics with just enough SF, time travel paradox twists, Tezuka sight gags, action/adventure, all with a crazy space-western motif.

DMP has been kind of adamant about only using Kickstarter to publish their Tezuka catalog titles; there was an attempt last year to crowdfund $350K to publish a whole slew of titles, including Wonder Three. For the most part their Tezuka releases have been his later, more adult works, so it was a relief to see something more fun like Captain Ken make the cut. It's a manga I'd wanted to read for years, ever since seeing images of the color title pages in a Tezuka book, so it's great to have it in English. If you get a chance, pick it up, only 2 volumes so it's not a big time or cash investment. It's well worth it.
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Re: Captain Ken manga review at Let's Anime

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Thanks for sharing! Captain Ken looks pretty interesting; I may need to pick it up soon.