The Holiday Haul Retail Fever

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

The Holiday Haul Retail Fever

Post by Daniel »

Originally written by yusaku on 2015/12/14, 10:25:11 PST :

The Holiday Haul Retail Fever :

I have already started and I did not intend to do it. I got the retail fever and I started early. The Office Max in town has been bought up Office Depot and, there was a going out of business sale. Now hold on I am getting to the anime part in a minute! I bought two sets of wireless headphones at half price and I had a working pair at home. I bought 10 pack of black in pens for 31 cents a ten pack, and five packs of skullcandy earbuds for four dolllars a pack. I went back the next day and got drawing pads for a dollar a pad. I got ten of them. This happened last November. I am sure you can see where this is going.

Fast forward to Black Friday. I was at the Home Depot to get some tools to extract some parts for my aging Buick Lesabre that had been in an accident a week earlier. The clerk had admitted to spending his cash on tools and is now in living in food insecurity until payday. I bought me the finest socket universal socket wrench , 3 8 drive, set they had along with a set of metric wrenches. Then I went back to replace my broken 1 4 inch drive last week and, I opted to get the socket set for five dollars more.

Fast forward to this month. I found a sale of British video at Barnes and Nobles that they will be continuing into January. All British films HALF OFF until January! I bought a Tom Baker Doctor Who episode I do not remember seeing and a quirky independent film. I have almost nothing in my bank account and credit cards are maxed out. I will not have any more money until I get paid this week. I still have the receipt to the 40 of unopened films, but I do not wan to take them back. I am living off a big bag of loose change right now. When I am do get paid this week I intend to go back to that store and get the anime Crying Freeman complete series. Now that I have seen Usamine post for online sales I will be visiting TRS just like I did last holiday season thanks again to Usamine's recommendation.

Who's with me? We going to do some damage this holiday season or what? What are you guys got on the shopping list? You going to be borrowing the January rent? Who far are you guys planning to stretch the finances? My PS3 is broken and I am not going to fix or replace it until I get me some more DVD's first. My PS2 and spare DVD players are in working order so I can do without the PS3 for a while. I will be living off change until payday this week. How far are you guys and gals going to take things this holiday?

Originally written by Char Aznable on 2015/12/14, 11:02:54 PST :

Re: The Holiday Haul Retail Fever :

I can sympathize. I'm officially done shopping this year. Though I spent more in the last month than I wanted, I was able to get some great deals.

Last year I ordered a bunch of items from Right Stuf, but wasn't too impressed with their sales this time around. I made a small order with them back in November and that was it. I found GoHastings had some of the best deals this year, with all of their 'Deal of the Day' coupons 40 off, buy one get one free, etc...

Originally written by yusaku on 2015/12/15, 09:03:57 PST :

I am mostly done shopping for myself. I think at least that Crying Freeman collection, some sound tracks from TRS, and some more cello music should just about do it for me. I send the relatives cards with some holiday cash. That is usually all they require. I had a lot of unexpected expenses this year, so I cannot do what I was planning on doing. I wanted to get a Yamaha 88 key for Christmas. I will just have to wait until next Christmas. I still have more work to do to improve my cello playing. If I come across the Budda manga I will pick it up.

Originally written by greg on 2015/12/15, 19:08:44 PST :

I see where Dawn has started a thread on anime Christmas sales, but I am avoiding it. Every time I see emails from RightStuf in my inbox, I delete them without reading them. I already bought several DiscoTek anime DVDs recently, and I'd rather take it easy for now. I was planning to meet up with a guy I know on YouTube who does build videos of Gundam models this Saturday, but I had to decline. I don't want use my credit cards, nor do I want to dip into the money meant for my daughter. Three times a year, parents of children under high school age get paid a sum of money here in Japan, which we then put into savings for her future. I could have possibly borrowed some money from that, but I'd already done that last month. I just recently bought Avengers 2 and Hobbit 3 on Bluray, as well as an MST3K DVD box set.

I do have plans this weekend to watch Star Wars with my friend and the Peanuts movie with my daughter. I think I'm already set on purchasing Christmas gifts for her. Last year I bought her too much and it was a bit overwhelming, apparently. She still has toys she hasn't really touched yet from last year.

Originally written by yusaku on 2015/12/16, 10:39:29 PST :

It seems my big bag of change has served its purpose. I kept 40 of moves in the shrink wrap with the receipt handy. Payday is tomorrow and can say for certain I will NOT be returning the movies. I held out! I will be returning to the Barnes and Noble for the Crying Freeman. My supervisor will be having a retirement party today. I will be in attendance and, I most certainly will be eating!

Since Barnes and NObels will be having a half off sale on British films, my task tomorrow will be to find out which Tom Baker episode I am missing and have the store order them. I do not have to pay in advance and I found out I get them for the sale price. I got three weeks of continuous vacation next month and a Doctor Who marathon featuring my favorite Doctor, Tom Baker, is my idea of a vacation! Along with some recommendations for Usanime's Christmas 2015 list and some Cello playing, Bible reading, and exercise I should have a wonderful three weeks vacation, staycation!

Originally written by yusaku on 2015/12/22, 08:06:35 PST :

After waiting for ten years it finally happened! I found the Please Save My Earth CD soundtrack in Austrialia for 26. I had a copy back in 2005 but it grew legs and walked off and I never found it again. The one instance I found a copy in Japan I bid 75 on ebay and still did not get it. This is the second time in ten yearshave seen the vol2 of PSME and I got to pick it up this time. I do not know why the music company will not do a print run for fans who want the soundtrack. I also found the Ristorante Paradiso soundtrack for 4.85. It was a price drop of 70. Someone must have acquired the CD and not known its value. I love it when this happens!

Originally written by Akage on 2015/12/23, 21:53:40 PST :

I picked up some anime shirts at Hot Topic during their Black Friday sale. I recommend going this route if you or people on your holiday list wear anime shirts or anything else HT sells . All shirts that day are 10, and you get free US shipping for all orders over 50. There are quite a few resellers at conventions who take advantage of this sale and then resell them for 20 each, so it makes sense to just buy what you think you'll use during the next year that day. The sale has been going on for several years now, so I'm sure it'll pop up next year too.

I'm a big shirt fan and I have fun wearing all sorts of zany shirts on my days off. Being able to rotate new shirts in to my collection and make the older ones gym wear is nice.

Originally written by usamimi on 2015/12/24, 06:53:24 PST :

quote greg I see where Dawn has started a thread on anime Christmas sales, but I am avoiding it. Every time I see emails from RightStuf in my inbox, I delete them without reading them. I already bought several DiscoTek anime DVDs recently, and I'd rather take it easy for now. I was planning to meet up with a guy I know on YouTube who does build videos of Gundam models this Saturday, but I had to decline. I don't want use my credit cards, nor do I want to dip into the money meant for my daughter. Three times a year, parents of children under high school age get paid a sum of money here in Japan, which we then put into savings for her future. I could have possibly borrowed some money from that, but I'd already done that last month. I just recently bought Avengers 2 and Hobbit 3 on Bluray, as well as an MST3K DVD box set.

I do have plans this weekend to watch Star Wars with my friend and the Peanuts movie with my daughter. I think I'm already set on purchasing Christmas gifts for her. Last year I bought her too much and it was a bit overwhelming, apparently. She still has toys she hasn't really touched yet from last year. quote

That's a smart move, really. It's always so tempting to get a ton of things for yourself with all these sales! I did splurge on some of the sales and finally got a copy of the Cowboy Bebop blu-ray and the DBZ Battle of the Gods blu-ray, but that was because I had Amazon gift cards and they were having a REALLY good sale on em. I don't think I've bought anything else for myself so far. I'm waiting to see if I get any gift cards for Christmas--after Christmas sales are usually pretty good, too!

Originally written by Kame-Sen'nin on 2015/12/24, 09:41:32 PST :

Though I went a little wild with some of the holiday sales, I stuck to my budget for the most part. After a certain point, I had to simply ignore the emails and alerts like Greg suggested . I also deleted the Amazon app and a few others from my phone to make it less convenient to make purchases I find that this gives me time to consider whether or not I really want need to buy something.

I have to admit though, I was a little jealous of your story yusaku! Sounds like you got some really cool stuff!

Originally written by yusaku on 2015/12/26, 10:35:21 PST :

quote usamimi quote greg I see where Dawn has started a thread on anime Christmas sales, but I am avoiding it. Every time I see emails from RightStuf in my inbox, I delete them without reading them. I already bought several DiscoTek anime DVDs recently, and I'd rather take it easy for now. I was planning to meet up with a guy I know on YouTube who does build videos of Gundam models this Saturday, but I had to decline. I don't want use my credit cards, nor do I want to dip into the money meant for my daughter. Three times a year, parents of children under high school age get paid a sum of money here in Japan, which we then put into savings for her future. I could have possibly borrowed some money from that, but I'd already done that last month. I just recently bought Avengers 2 and Hobbit 3 on Bluray, as well as an MST3K DVD box set.

I do have plans this weekend to watch Star Wars with my friend and the Peanuts movie with my daughter. I think I'm already set on purchasing Christmas gifts for her. Last year I bought her too much and it was a bit overwhelming, apparently. She still has toys she hasn't really touched yet from last year. quote

That's a smart move, really. It's always so tempting to get a ton of things for yourself with all these sales! I did splurge on some of the sales and finally got a copy of the Cowboy Bebop blu-ray and the DBZ Battle of the Gods blu-ray, but that was because I had Amazon gift cards and they were having a REALLY good sale on em. I don't think I've bought anything else for myself so far. I'm waiting to see if I get any gift cards for Christmas--after Christmas sales are usually pretty good, too! quote

I am going through the clearance section at TRS and find as many cheap titles as I can get. I got to use a little bit of space on that credit card left.

Originally written by Kame-Sen'nin on 2015/12/26, 10:53:48 PST :

quote yusaku I am going through the clearance section at TRS and find as many cheap titles as I can get. I got to use a little bit of space on that credit card left. quote
Let us know what you pick up!

Originally written by yusaku on 2015/12/27, 06:36:06 PST :

quote Kame-Sen'nin quote yusaku I am going through the clearance section at TRS and find as many cheap titles as I can get. I got to use a little bit of space on that credit card left. quote
Let us know what you pick up! quote

Order Summary

Item
Qty
Description
Options
Rate
Amount
Gluttonous DVD t1 tGluttonous DVD S LiveAction t t 2.00 t 2.00
Ergo Proxy DVD 1 CD Opus 02 Combo Box Pack t1 tErgo Proxy DVD 1 CD Opus 02 Combo Box Pack Hyb t t 1.99 t 1.99
Diamond Daydreams Complete Collection DVD Thinpak t1 tDiamond Daydreams Complete Collection DVD Hyb Thinpak t t 4.99 t 4.99
Dan Doh!! The Super Shot Complete Collection DVD Anime Legends t1 tDan Doh!! The Super Shot DVD Complete Collection Hyb Anime Legends t t 5.99 t 5.99
Appleseed DVD - Feature Only t1 tAppleseed DVD Hyb - Feature Only t t 1.99 t 1.99
A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square DVD t1 tA Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square DVD D LiveAction t t 1.00 t 1.00
AD Police Files DVD t1 tAD Police Files DVD Hyb t t 7.99 t 7.99
Subtotal t 25.95
Shipping Handling t 4.99
Tax t 0.00
Total

I would have got more but I had to rush off to work. I may have another chance to get a little more today, but I really like the deals I got in this order. I can tell some of the stuff is surely going out of print. I had to stop on the g alphabet in the clearance section aroound page 27. I will start looking again if time permits. I got work and church today.

Originally written by Kame-Sen'nin on 2015/12/27, 13:07:05 PST :

Pretty good haul for that price, nice work!

Originally written by yusaku on 2015/12/28, 08:19:38 PST :

quote Kame-Sen'nin Pretty good haul for that price, nice work! quote

I went back for a second portion!

Dear Guest Shopper,

Thank you for shopping at Right Stuf Anime. Our team appreciates your business!

Your order no. 469-787365 has been received. Below is a detailed list of all the awesome products you ordered! Be on the lookout for your amazing anime haul!

Order Summary

Item
Qty
Description
Options
Rate
Amount
Female Convict Scorpion Blu-ray t1 tFemale Convict Scorpion Blu-ray S LiveAction t t 2.99 t 2.99
Five Savage Men DVD t1 tFive Savage Men DVD D LiveAction t t 1.00 t 1.00
God's Little Acre DVD t1 tGod's Little Acre DVD D LiveAction t t 1.00 t 1.00
Have a Nice Funeral DVD t1 tHave a Nice Funeral DVD D LiveAction t t 1.00 t 1.00
Human Crossing DVD 3 t1 tHuman Crossing DVD 3 Hyb Message in White t t 3.00 t 3.00
Human Crossing DVD 4 t1 tHuman Crossing DVD 4 Hyb The Instructor's Rain t t 3.00 t 3.00
House of Seven Corpses DVD t1 tHouse of Seven Corpses DVD D LiveAction t t 1.00 t 1.00
Moeyo Ken TV Complete Collection DVD t1 tMoeyo Ken TV DVD Complete Collection Hyb t t 6.99 t 6.99
My Beautiful Girl Mari DVD t1 tMy Beautiful Girl Mari DVD Hyb t t 3.00 t 3.00
Subtotal t 22.98
Shipping Handling t 4.99
Tax t 0.00
Total t 27.97

Originally written by yusaku on 2015/12/28, 12:13:48 PST :

quote yusaku quote Kame-Sen'nin Pretty good haul for that price, nice work! quote

I went back for a second portion!

Dear Guest Shopper,

Thank you for shopping at Right Stuf Anime. Our team appreciates your business!

Your order no. 469-787365 has been received. Below is a detailed list of all the awesome products you ordered! Be on the lookout for your amazing anime haul!

Order Summary

Item
Qty
Description
Options
Rate
Amount
Female Convict Scorpion Blu-ray t1 tFemale Convict Scorpion Blu-ray S LiveAction t t 2.99 t 2.99
Five Savage Men DVD t1 tFive Savage Men DVD D LiveAction t t 1.00 t 1.00
God's Little Acre DVD t1 tGod's Little Acre DVD D LiveAction t t 1.00 t 1.00
Have a Nice Funeral DVD t1 tHave a Nice Funeral DVD D LiveAction t t 1.00 t 1.00
Human Crossing DVD 3 t1 tHuman Crossing DVD 3 Hyb Message in White t t 3.00 t 3.00
Human Crossing DVD 4 t1 tHuman Crossing DVD 4 Hyb The Instructor's Rain t t 3.00 t 3.00
House of Seven Corpses DVD t1 tHouse of Seven Corpses DVD D LiveAction t t 1.00 t 1.00
Moeyo Ken TV Complete Collection DVD t1 tMoeyo Ken TV DVD Complete Collection Hyb t t 6.99 t 6.99
My Beautiful Girl Mari DVD t1 tMy Beautiful Girl Mari DVD Hyb t t 3.00 t 3.00
Subtotal t 22.98
Shipping Handling t 4.99
Tax t 0.00
Total t 27.97 quote

I got a little more today! I finished the 105 page clearance section and I got the best of the bargains. I skipped the hentai and got some of the less raunchy anime. Here is the list
Your order no. 253-790083 has been received. Below is a detailed list of all the awesome products you ordered! Be on the lookout for your amazing anime haul!

Order Summary

Item
Qty
Description
Options
Rate
Amount
Versus Director's Cut DVD T-Shirt t1 tVersus Director's Cut DVD Hyb LiveAction T-Shirt t t 4.99 t 4.99
Piano The Melody of a Young Girl's Heart DVD 1 t1 tPiano The Melody of a Young Girl's Heart DVD 1 Hyb Secret Love t t 3.19 t 3.19
Simoun Complete Collection DVD t1 tSimoun DVD Complete Collection S t t 11.99 t 11.99
Weather Report Girl DVD Remastered t1 tWeather Report Girl DVD Hyb remastered t t 3.99 t 3.99
Subtotal t 24.16
Shipping Handling t 3.99
Tax t 0.00
Total t 28.15

I must say the Weather Report Girl is a little on the raunchy side, but I got it to complete my live action collection of the same series.
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Re: The Holiday Haul Retail Fever

Post by yusaku »

The entire anime haul is in the house! I got everything I listed and managed to snag some very rare CD soundtracks from Japan. I have not even broke the shrink wrap on most of the haul yet. I just got is spread out on the floor just to gawk at it for awhile. I checked the clearance section for TRS and they still got some decent stuff left, but you really are going to have to shift through the entire clearance section to find the good stuff. Amazon is almost always a better bargain. I say go with your conscience on that issue. I like TRS, but their price must comparable to amazon's prices. TRS takes longer to ship your stuff, so keep that in mind.

The holiday is now over. However, convention season is now starting. Now I would NEVER try to get a huge haul from a convention because you are going to spend sixty bucks just to get inside, and the dealers room is not open all day. Yet, what ever I do manage to get from the convention this March. My local con is Nakacon. So, let me know what you guys haul out of your local cons.
***^__^***