What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by greg »

We finished the 7th and final volume of Yamato 2199. What a fantastic show! I will need to watch this show again with English subtitles in order to properly understand everything, but it is such a great show. I will definitely buy this as soon as it hits R1 DVD.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

greg wrote:We finished the 7th and final volume of Yamato 2199. What a fantastic show! I will need to watch this show again with English subtitles in order to properly understand everything, but it is such a great show. I will definitely buy this as soon as it hits R1 DVD.
Your wish is granted

http://starblazers.com/shopping/

Sorry about the crazy price, and be ready for painful shipping & handling.

No, there is no English dub.

No, you can't buy this anywhere else for a lower price.

This or nothing, bubbala. :)
Boite Diabolique
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Boite Diabolique »

SteveH wrote:Sorry about the crazy price, and be ready for painful shipping & handling.

Not sure if Voyager would ship to Japan where greg is. I picked up the first couple of BDs from the Book Off across from my hotel in Namba, Osaka in March last year. Practically brand new and English subbed like Voyager’s. Also managed to get the special edition of the Tiger and Bunny movie for about half price, mint condition from a Book Off near Nipponbashi (Bandai Visual also decided to stick English subs on that BD too). I think only came out a month or two prior.
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

Boite Diabolique wrote:
SteveH wrote:Sorry about the crazy price, and be ready for painful shipping & handling.

Not sure if Voyager would ship to Japan where greg is. I picked up the first couple of BDs from the Book Off across from my hotel in Namba, Osaka in March last year. Practically brand new and English subbed like Voyager’s. Also managed to get the special edition of the Tiger and Bunny movie for about half price, mint condition from a Book Off near Nipponbashi (Bandai Visual also decided to stick English subs on that BD too). I think only came out a month or two prior.
Ah, well, no, they won't ship to Japan, so either someone buys them for him or out of luck.

He would be much better off with the Bandai Visual Blu-Ray discs in Japan. As you say, likely able to find them used and cheap. The BDs have English subs, the DVDs do not.
Boite Diabolique

Actually, I forgot about this. I’m pretty sure they will ship to Japan (as long as it’s not Aniplex USA stuff). I know some US BDs won’t play on Japanese BD players (the disc checks the country setting and won’t play if it’s a Japanese player), but they can’t do that with modded DVD players.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Oh my gosh. Starblazers 2199? Let me guess: they're gonna say "Argo" and "Derek Wildstar" in every caption instead of "Yamato" and "Koudai," and they've seriously screwed up the intro and ending sequences to remove the original title and credits? Ugh... If if if if IF IF IF the only mention of "Starblazers" is only on the front cover or something, then I will definitely buy it. I won't pre-order it until I know for sure it hasn't somehow been all Americanized despite the lack of a dub.

I don't know about picking up BRs for cheap here. I don't even have a BR player, nor have I much of a desire for one, but I may as well eventually get one someday because DVD will eventually disappear.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

greg wrote:Oh my gosh. Starblazers 2199? Let me guess: they're gonna say "Argo" and "Derek Wildstar" in every caption instead of "Yamato" and "Koudai," and they've seriously screwed up the intro and ending sequences to remove the original title and credits? Ugh... If if if if IF IF IF the only mention of "Starblazers" is only on the front cover or something, then I will definitely buy it. I won't pre-order it until I know for sure it hasn't somehow been all Americanized despite the lack of a dub.
I would ASSUME its just for some recognition of the title, considering that the tagline for RightStuf says this:
Mankind's final hope is the Yamato, which rests off of Kyushu's Cape Bonomisaki - the Space Battleship Yamato! Believing in a message of salvation sent from the distant depths of the galaxy, the Yamato now sets sail with a young crew under the command of Captain Okita!
If you do want to order it and have any trouble tracking down a source, let me know. I'd be glad to help out.
Boite Diabolique

“Michiko & Hatchin”. I do remember the promo artwork for this show, but it did slip under my radar. Thank god Funimation rescued it. Apparently some other obscure company had already tried to get on TV and just sat on it. I didn’t realise this show is another Sayo Yamamoto (of “The Woman Called Fujiko Mine” fame) show. There aren’t many female directors in the anime industry which is shame really. According to the press conference in the extras, Yamamoto wanted the show to be for office ladies coming home late at night. Michiko and Hana are always wearing new outfits in every episode and I note that all the men in the show are scumbags or useless. The other unusual thing is that the three leads of the show are all live action actors, not voice actors. I really don’t understand why this show wasn’t a fan favourite in when it originally aired in 2008. It’s fantastic crime/action/road trip series. The music is great too.
Ben
Anime Fan Since: Early 90's

Post by Ben »

greg wrote:Oh my gosh. Starblazers 2199? Let me guess: they're gonna say "Argo" and "Derek Wildstar" in every caption instead of "Yamato" and "Koudai," and they've seriously screwed up the intro and ending sequences to remove the original title and credits? Ugh... If if if if IF IF IF the only mention of "Starblazers" is only on the front cover or something, then I will definitely buy it. I won't pre-order it until I know for sure it hasn't somehow been all Americanized despite the lack of a dub.

I don't know about picking up BRs for cheap here. I don't even have a BR player, nor have I much of a desire for one, but I may as well eventually get one someday because DVD will eventually disappear.
I have to say, if you own an HDTV I think you will be really satisfied with the purchase. With a lot of older series, the Blu-ray releases have received loving restorations that the DVDs just didn't. In particular, the Japanese Macross Plus and Space Runaway Ideon sets that I picked up recently absolutely blew me away. The biggest issue with DVD was that it just had a hard time doing proper reds and blacks, and a lot of older series actually had better quality LD releases in the opinion of a lot of cinephiles (Ideon is a great example of this). Blu-ray is far more capable when it comes to handling deep blacks and reds (of course it's still limited by your HDTV) but there's no reason why a proper Blu-ray transfer shouldn't be the best possible version of a series that gets a solid treatment whereas you could make a debate over LD vs. DVD in a lot of cases.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I spent my birthday watching old anime I hadn't seen before or seen in a long time, so I watched:

Macross II 1-4 (didn't have 5 & 6)
Dangaioh Vol.1
Junk Boy
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram