Seriously, where was the love for Gundam Build Fighters?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Seriously, where was the love for Gundam Build Fighters?

Post by greg »

Steve, it's a pretty fun show! I've watched the first two episodes that I have recorded so far. I like how they didn't waste time setting up the premise of this game in which these plastic models can fight each other. It's a game that just already exists in this world, so just accept it. The Ramba Ral-looking man was easily identifiable. I'll continue watching this show. At the very least, it is like a crossover fanfic writer's dream come true, with the mobile suits from various shows fighting against each other.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

greg wrote:Steve, it's a pretty fun show! I've watched the first two episodes that I have recorded so far. I like how they didn't waste time setting up the premise of this game in which these plastic models can fight each other. It's a game that just already exists in this world, so just accept it. The Ramba Ral-looking man was easily identifiable. I'll continue watching this show. At the very least, it is like a crossover fanfic writer's dream come true, with the mobile suits from various shows fighting against each other.
I'm so glad! It IS fun, it really has a kind of 'Pokemon' feel to it, where everything is a nice spring day and a kid can just walk all over the place and not be in constant fear.

Even at the end, when SERIOUS BUSINESS goes down and there's actual danger, you know nobody is going to end up face down in a pool of blood or anything. That's not a spoiler.

I think you're going to end up watching each episode with a great big smile on your face. Just wait until the question of "where is Sei's father?" is answered. :)
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I don't have subtitles, but I've gathered that his father is like a champion Gundam fighter, right?

The red haired boy (I forget his name) seems to be kinda like a Char/Quattro figure, with his hair red to be like a "Red Comet." I'll try to watch an episode tonight.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

greg wrote:I don't have subtitles, but I've gathered that his father is like a champion Gundam fighter, right?

The red haired boy (I forget his name) seems to be kinda like a Char/Quattro figure, with his hair red to be like a "Red Comet." I'll try to watch an episode tonight.
Sei's father is a Build Fighter champion, yes. There's a trophy and everything.

I think they changed some concepts as the show was in production. It seems at first that Sei's father is lost/missing/dead/divorced from Sei's buxom mother and she's feeling a bit lonely and Mr. Ral kinda sorta tries to leverage his position, but suddenly it's just Sei's father is very busy with his work (shhhh. secret! :) ) and the reunion is passionate and somewhat mortifying to Sei, not to mention completely shutting down Mr. Ral. :)

The closest thing to a Char analog would be the class president. You'll see that in play in another episode or so. Reiji (the other protagonist) is... I dunno. I'm sure he's an analog to something from a more recent Gundam series but I can't place it. He's the 'supernatural talent' who takes to piloting a Gundam..er...model... as if it was second nature.

I'm very interested in seeing where the new series goes. I hope they don't just hit the reset button and ignore the characters, world and continuity they've created.